Registers & References
The Church Registers
The Registers are complete from the date of 1538 (the year when the King’s injunction was published, compelling the parish record to be kept) which is quite rare in this area of Shropshire. The original entries are in Latin.
During the Commonwealth, births were recorded rather than baptisms. Today the registers are in the safe keeping of the County Archives in Shrewsbury.
St George’s Church was listed as a Grade II * building in June 1958.
Victoria County History of Shropshire, Volume V111, 1968, edited by A T. Gaydon.
Eyton’s Antiquities’ Official Guide to Pontesbury, Shropshire. Designed and published by Forward Publicity Ltd.
Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, 2nd Series, Volume VII.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1937.
The Church Bells of Shropshire. Volume VIII, Originally published in 1968 for the University Of London Institute Of Historical Research.